CFHS Poetry Contest 11th Grade 1st Place Poem

Hannah Beskind, Guest Poet

The Equal and Opposite Reaction

By Hannah Beskind

Fear

It’s the paralyzing chills Oskar Schindler endured as he illegally transported 1,098 Jewish laborers from

Plaszow to Brunnlitz

It’s the sound of the Robben Island prison doors screeching shut, indicating 26 years time for Nelson

Mandela

It’s the ambivalent look in Martin Luther King Jr.’s eyes as he shepherded nonviolent protesters from

Selma to Montgomery

It’s the adrenaline rushing through Michael Murphy’s veins as he stepped into a free fire zone to

transmit a call for back-up help

It’s uncertainty in Michael Sam’s demeanor as he announces his homosecuality

It’s the perpetual, rapid beating of Amelia Earhart’s pulse as she took off from Trepassey Harbor for the

first female piloted transatlantic flight

It’s Rosa Parks’ perilous denial to give up her bus seat to a white passenger

It’s camouflaged in the fragmented remnants of Anne Frank’s horrifying account of Nazi brutality

It’s the quivering in Antoinette Tuff’s voice as she talked the 20-year-old gunman down from opening

fire on Atlanta elementary students

It’s the intimidation due to constant Taliban death threats that began to tear away at Malala Yousafzai

while she pushed for Pakistani girl’s education

In physics, we learned about Newton’s 3rd Law

Which states

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction

So, according to Newton, the force of fear necessitates an equal, yet opposite force

Courage

It’s the valiant endeavors of Oskar Schindler as he relocated 1,098 Jewish laborers from Plaszow to Brunnlitz

It’s the sound of the Victor Verster prison doors screeching open, announcing Nelson Mandela’s

freedom 26 years overdue

It’s the fervent tread of Martin Luther King Jr. as he led nonviolent protesters from Selma to Montgomery

It’s Michael Murphy’s unhesitant decision to sacrifice his life by signaling for reinforcement in the open

mountains of Asadabad

It’s the intrinsic confidence Michael Sam exhibited as he became the first publicly gay NFL player

It’s Amelia Earhart’s fearless gaze into the horizon and her unmistakable trust in the Fokker F. Vllb/3m

It’s the boldness of Rosa Parks’ refusal to move to the back of the bus

It’s prominent in the optimistic attitude radiating from the pages of Anne Frank’s renowned diary

It’s the steadfast tone of Antoinette tuff’s reassuring words that offered comfort to a troubled man

carrying an AK-47

It’s Malala Yousafzai’s vow to advocate for women’s education despite being shot in the head and receiving constant Taliban threats

Let us never forget that courage is born in the presence of fear

Let us always remember the equal and opposite reaction