Boston Bomber Found Guilty On 30 Counts

Nikki Baim

Two years may seem like a long time, but it’s even longer when you spend it waiting for your fate to be determined. This is how Dzhokar Tsarnaev, the Boston Bombing suspect, has spent his last two years, until now. On April 4 all was settled, and Tsarnaev was found guilty on all 30 counts he was charged with.

In 2013, runners from around the world came together to run the historic Boston Marathon. Some ran to set a new personal record, and others to support loved ones, but instead of celebrating with their friends and families once they crossed the finish line, the runners were met with two bombs.

The bombs took the lives of three innocent people, Krystle Campbell, Lingzi Lu and eight year-old Martin Richard, and injured 260 more.

Dzhokar Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamalan Tsarnaev, were suspected to be the ones who placed the bombs at the finish line.

Both fled the scene and, while on the run, murdered a MIT police officer three days later. Following the officer’s murder, the two brothers became involved in a gun battle with the police. Tamalan was shot and killed leaving Dzhokar to hide in a dry docked boat in a backyard, where he was captured and arrested.

Tsarnaev’s first public appearance in the courts was last July, where he pleaded not guilty of 30 criminal reports linked to the attack before a district court.

The criminal trials started March 4 and have just come to a close with the final verdict in: Tsarnaev guilty on all 30 counts.

Lawyer Judy Clarke attempted to defend Tsarnaev by arguing that he only partook in the bombing because he was forced by his brother, but the evidence –including a total of 92 witnesses– was stronger than her claims.

Guilty of using weapons of mass destruction, guilty of bombing a place of public use, guilty of conspiracy, guilty of murder, and so on went the judge during the verdict. Tsarnaev heard the word ‘guilty’ spoken a total of 32 times during the verdict that took a total of 26 minutes to complete.

Now, all that is left is for Tsarnaev’s punishment to be determined. Out of the total 30 counts, 17 of them typically result in the death penalty, so it’s likely that will be Tsarnaev’s punishment.

The sentencing phase of the court, where Tsarnaev’s punishment will be officially determined, began April 21. Before the sentencing phase, the jurors were supposed to stay away from the Boston Marathon or any events related to the anniversary in order to avoid any prejudice during the sentencing phase.

The bombing’s victims and their families are content with the result of the verdict, but not fully pleased. According to CNN, survivors Karen Brassard and Jeff Bauman see it as simply one small step that helps, but nothing will ever bring back the lives lost and those left injured by Tsarnaev’s actions.

On the contrary, Tsarnaev’s mother is pleased with and proud of her son. In screenshots from a Russian social media site, she expressed her belief that Americans are the true terrorists, and her son did the right thing.

There are yet to be any other relatives of Tsarnaev who have publicly spoken out in favor of his actions.

Catalina Foothills High School Junior, Isabel Ranney, believes that the punishment is adequate saying, “Since so many lost their lives because of him, it’s only fair that he pay his life in return.”
The Boston Marathon will take place this year on April 20. The event was covered with security to secure the runner’s safety and assure there won’t be another act of terrorism.

Boston Bomber Found Guilty On 30 Counts