Will Editing on Twitter Be a New Feature?

Photo Credit: www.digitaltrends.com

By: Hikaru Igarashi, Journalist

The sound of an alarm goes off early in the morning and instantly a student grabs his cellphone to check his notifications from Twitter. He makes a quick tweet of under 140 characters, but realizes that he’s made a few spelling errors. What can he do about it?

Editing tweets is impossible and it could stay that way unless Twitter adds a feature that allows users to revise.

In a Jan. 6 New York Times article titled Edit Tweets? Users Debate a Missing Twitter Feature by Katie Rogers it states that currently people have to delete an original post that has errors in it and post a new one. However, Twitter is looking into the idea from avid users, like journalists and musicians, to have an editing feature where people can fix errors made in their original tweet.

Kim Kardashian requested this editing feature to the CEO of Twitter last July, tweeting, “‘I just emailed Twitter to see if they can add an edit feature so that when [u] misspell something [u] don’t have to delete & repost Let’s see…’”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Many fans of Twitter are excited to see this new addition and are expecting to have a better experience, because many are looking for more ways to make Twitter faster, easier, and more efficient.

Junior Francesca Verdugo says, “I want a new feature on Twitter where people can place emojis instead of just pressing the “like” button, just like Facebook’s new ‘like’ feature.”

On top of the new editing feature, Twitter is planning to increase the character limit to 10,000 instead of 140. They’ve already made a recent change of converting the “like” star to a heart.

As of right now, the CEO and the vice president of Twitter aren’t completely interested in having the editing feature. The concern of Twitter’s nature being changed because of the editing function can complicate the experiences for people who share tweets on multiple sites, like blogs and news websites. On top of that, it can alter the meaning that the original tweet was intended to portray.

Sophomore Monica Graham says, “I’m a huge fan of Twitter, so I’m constantly looking forward to seeing new changes. This new editing feature is something that I’m really interested in using in the near future.”

• Will Editing on Twitter Be a New Feature?

Business Currents

Education Is Not as Easy as ABC, 123 in Arizona: A Comprehensive Look at Proposition 123

Business Currents

Banning of Hoverboards Are Becoming More Frequent

Business Currents

Parental Control on Technology

Business Currents

Leonardo DiCaprio Wins a Golden Globe for “The Revenant”

Business Currents

Teen Exhaustion

Business Currents

Dogs in Hot Cars

Business Currents

Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Banksy’s Dismaland

Business Currents

Red Light Cameras

Business Currents

Ojo Blanco Fire Scorches 1,960 Acres