We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Victoria Ariate-Jover

Victoria Ariate-Jover, Journalist

Ice cream made out of cashews? Not dairy? What is this?

Calling everyone’s attention – vegan or non-vegan! There is a new dessert parlor called Cashew Cow, which is just south of Broadway Boulevard, on South Eastbourne Avenue. It is in the Broadway Village Plaza, right next to Sugar and across the street from Session Yoga.

Their ice cream is 100 percent vegan and is made from whole cashews, coconut milk, vegan cane sugar, salt and vanilla.

This is actually the first cashew ice cream parlor in the country, and it’s been a hit since the owner, Jennifer Newman, opened it in December of 2014.

Newman lived in Tucson for about 11 years, and then moved to New York City. A few years ago, she decided to move back to her hometown. She is a huge fan of ice cream, but wanted to create a healthier-alternative.

Cashew Cow has 15 different flavors. They have the basic flavors of vanilla, chocolate, cookies n’ cream, pistachio and coffee. There are also multiple flavors like raspberry lemonade, lemon soufflé, salted caramel, key lime pie, chocolate cinnamon, toasted almond, maple walnut, ‘better nut’ pecan, Kahlua fudge and chocolate hazelnut. The flavors change on a daily basis, so there are no promises that all flavors will be available when you visit.

When you take a bite of the Cashew Cow ice cream, you can’t distinguish the difference between dairy based ice cream cream and cashew based ice cream. The ice cream itself still holds that same amount of creaminess that ice cream made from dairy would contain. It holds the same texture as typical ice cream does. Although the flavor isn’t as sweet due to the fact that the recipe doesn’t contain a large amount of sugar, like dairy based ice cream would, it still has a lot of flavor to it.

When I went to Cashew Cow for the first time, I’ll admit I was hesitant to try it since the thought of cashew ice cream was foreign to me. Yet the essence of the ice cream changed my opinion the moment I took a bite of the lemon soufflé. When I first heard that it was made out of cashews, I was in disbelief, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

My favorite flavors so far are the lemon soufflé and maple walnut. Both flavors start off very sweet and as you continue to eat it you can’t help wanting another spoonful. The lemon soufflé is at first very sweet, then hits you with that tarty taste of lemon. Also, the maple walnut is very sweet, but the chunks of walnuts in the ice cream compliment the sweetness, so that there is some bitterness in the flavor. They do this so the amount of sweetness doesn’t overpower your tastebuds.

Junior Katie Huntzinger has never been there but plans on going there soon. “I’ve never heard of ice cream made out of cashews, but it sounds super interesting and delicious. I’m definitely going to go there and check it out,” she says.

The pricing is a bit expensive, but it’s worth the taste. Cashew Cow is open from 12-nine p.m. on Sunday to Thursday and 12-10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

We all scream for Cashew Cow ice cream!

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

Justin Bieber Back At It Again With The New Album

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

A Taste of the Philippines

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

Improve Your Health at AZ Core Nutrition

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

Golden Dragon Review

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

Downtown Hotspot

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

How To Spend Your Saturday Nights

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

Tucson Tamale Company Review

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

VMA’s: Yay or Nay

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

IQ Fresh Review

• We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Health and Wellness

Zona 78 Review

We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream