Tucson Tamale Company Review

Photo Credit: Lyssa Gascon

Photo Credit: Lyssa Gascon

Lyssa Gascon, Journalist

Good food? Check. Salsa bar? Check. Reasonable pricing? Check. What more can a person ask for when looking for a good Mexican restaurant?

Tucson Tamale Company contains all that! They have three convenient locations on Tanque Verde Road, Broadway Boulevard, and Oracle Road with all opening daily at 9 A.M. and closing times vary from 8-9 P.M.

The location I went to was on 7286 North Oracle Road and from Sunday to Thursday they are open until 8 P.M. and from Friday to Saturday they are open until 9 P.M.

Before you enter the restaurant, you notice that the restaurant stands out from the rest of the stores since there’s a bright orange awning out front where there is outside seating available.

When you enter the restaurant, you notice the Hispanic-themed artwork around the walls and an opening on one side of the wall that allows you to see through the kitchen. The restaurant was half-full and there was a short line to order but as time went by, the restaurant became more full. While waiting, I noticed they had a freezer display case where there are frozen tamales ready to be bought.

The menu is very easy to use when ordering even if it’s your first time. They use steps to help you decide what food you want.

Step one is to choose which type of tamale or other dishes like empanadas, burritos, and quesadillas you want, and how many you would like to order. I got two tamales: their signature Tucson tamale and the Santa Fe tamale.

The Tucson tamale had lots of cheese and grilled jalapeño masa. Masa is dough made from corn flour and the Tucson Tamale Company incorporated jalapeno into it to give a spicy new flavor for their signature tamale and instead of simply steaming the tamale, they grill it.

The Tucson tamale can be very spicy if you are sensitive. However, if you love spicy foods, then this tamale is for you. The other tamale I ordered was the Santa Fe tamale, which had pork loin, green chile sauce. The green chile sauce contains green chile, tomatoes, onions, and cheese.

Step two on the menu is to pick the sides you want. If you ordered one to three tamales, it comes with two sides. I got the hot and spicy Spanish rice and chips with salsa.

The last two steps are for add-ons, desserts, and drinks.

Two tamales with two sides costs $6.99 which I found as a reasonable price. If you want additional tamales, then you can get three for $8.99 which also comes with two sides. You can get a lot for under $10 at Tucson Tamale Company.

While I was waiting for my food, I went to the salsa bar located by the counter. They had five choices of salsa, ranging from mild to hot. I sampled all five salsas and I absolutely loved Collette’s green salsa which has medium spiciness and contains grilled tomatillo, onion, cilantro, and spices.

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

Justin Bieber Back At It Again With The New Album

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

A Taste of the Philippines

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

Improve Your Health at AZ Core Nutrition

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

Golden Dragon Review

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

Downtown Hotspot

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

How To Spend Your Saturday Nights

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

VMA’s: Yay or Nay

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

IQ Fresh Review

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

Zona 78 Review

• Tucson Tamale Company Review

Health and Wellness

We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Tucson Tamale Company Review