Falcons Varsity Basketball Dominates Against the Vista Grande Spartans

Taylor McMahan

This past Tuesday night was an exciting game here at Catalina Foothills High School. The boys varsity basketball team brought the heat while the Vista Grande High School Spartans played on our turf. The stellar passes and multiple three pointers by our Falcons are what ensured a victory with a final score of 64-32.

The Falcons came out already on fire within the first quarter. Junior Nik Nehls dominated with a total of 15 of the 22 points including three three-pointers. Dakota Kordsiemon, senior, followed Nehls with a total of six points in the eight minute quarter. Aaron Ayres, junior, and Sam Beskind, freshman, helped with the score bringing in three points combined. The varsity team ended the first quarter with a 22-15 lead.

During the next quarter our defense kept the Spartans from overtaking the lead only allowing a total of seven points to be scored on their side. Kordsiemon scored a total of 11 points in the quarter with a handful of points from Nehls. Liam Giffin and Ryan Green, both juniors, helped bring the overall score to 40-22.

While our Falcons went in to cool off during halftime, the crowd was entertained with a show from the Foothills Band and the Varsity Pom Line Team. Once the Lady Falcons were finished on the court the boys were back out and ready to start the second half.

Nik Nehls continued to dominate the court scoring a total of six of the 14 points in the 3rd quarter. Cesar Gonzalez, senior, brought in a total of three following a Beskind three point shot. Jared Irwin, sophomore, brought in two, meanwhile going hard on D and keeping the Spartans from scoring no more than four points. By the end of the third quarter the Falcons had almost doubled the Spartan’s score with a 54-26 lead.

The fourth quarter was on and the Falcons were ready to take the win. A new group of team members were put in and they showed they were going to keep the Spartans from gaining a lead. Neil Jha, junior, and Udai Singh, senior, kept the defense alive while scoring a three pointer each. Giffin and Green helped their teammates with strong offense bringing the Falcon’s total score of the quarter to ten and leaving the Spartans, who scored eight, in the dust.

The final score being 64-34 we could all say it was a good night to be a Falcon fan.