Standing in the Hall of Fame

Photobucket user blackjeeep

Levi Rubin

On Tuesday, January 6, the National Baseball Hall of Fame announced its inductees. The Baseball Hall of Fame class of 2015 will include Arizona Diamondbacks’ left-handed pitcher Randy Johnson, Boston Red Sox right-handed pitcher Pedro Martinez, Atlanta Braves right-handed pitcher John Smoltz and Houston Astros second-baseman Craig Biggio.

The major story for Catalina Foothills High School students is the induction of long-time Diamondbacks pitcher Randy Johnson. CFHS freshman Rodrigo Guerrero says, “I think the Hall of Fame inductees were the right choice. I’m really glad Randy Johnson made the Hall of Fame considering the achievements he’s accomplished.” On Friday, January 16, Johnson was officially announced to go into the Hall of Fame as a Diamondback.

Johnson, who had the most Hall of Fame votes this year, reached the coveted 300 wins, got the second most strikeouts in history, pitched a perfect game, won a World Series, won five Cy Young awards, the award for being the best pitcher in the league and won the World Series Most Valuable Player award in 2001.

Second most votes winner Pedro Martinez accomplished the best Earned Run Average adjusted for the league for a starting pitcher in a career, the best adjusted ERA in the modern era, won three Cy Young awards and won a World Series with the 2004 Boston Red Sox.

John Smoltz, who had the third most votes, is the only pitcher to reach 200 wins and 150 saves, win one Cy Young award and win a World Series with the 1995 Atlanta Braves. Craig Biggio, who had the fourth most votes, reached the coveted 3,000 hits and got hit by the most pitches all time in the modern era with 285.

While four worthy candidates were voted in, the exclusion of other worthy candidates creates a source of controversy. For example, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are two of the most accomplished players of all-time. Despite this, many sports writers do not consider them to be Hall of Fame worthy due to the suspicion that they cheated by taking steroids.

Even with the controversy surrounding the Hall of Fame voting, Tuesday saw the induction of four very worthy candidates. After the achievements these players have accomplished, they will be forever enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

Falcon Football: September 11th game against McClintock

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

Will Falcon Football be Fantastic?

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

• Sports

Is it Possible to Play Sports in College and Get an Education?

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

300th Win For Our Own Coach Walters

• Sports

Woman Referee Breaks Gender Barrier

• Sports

Falcons Fall to Cholla Chargers 52-55

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

Bringing Their Talent to the Next Level

• Standing in the Hall of Fame

Sports

Seniors Playing Sports in College

Standing in the Hall of Fame