Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Photo Credit: Alexis Belkoff

Hikaru Igarashi, Journalist

A future college athlete is on the rise at Catalina Foothills High School. Senior Alexis Belkoff was born on June 19, 1998 in Tucson. She has lived in Tucson all her life with a loving family, who have always supported her. Within her family, she is closest to her two sisters, and her inspiration to start gymnastics came from her older sister, Corinne Belkoff.

She attended Ventana Vista Elementary School, Esperero Canyon Middle School, and will be attending Sacramento State University on a full scholarship for gymnastics.

Gymnastics has always been the one thing that is the most interesting aspect about her. This sport was the first thing she ever tried and she has never considered another sport since. Alexis doesn’t remember how her sister encouraged her to start gymnastics, but she remembers that she wanted to be just like her sister.

Alexis has been competing in gymnastics for 12 years and goes through a very stressful routine. She practices five times a week for a total of 22 hours a week at Arizona Dynamics and has only Friday and Sunday off from practice; her coach pushes her to be the best she can be and her teammates support her by encouraging her.

Alexis has competed in nationals in Idaho, Iowa, Florida, Texas, California and in Arizona. She won a state meet at level nine for two years in a row and qualified for nationals. Last year, she competed level 10 at the state competition, the highest level, and qualified for nationals. In the national competition, she placed second in all around. She placed first on vault and fifth all around. Alexis competes against her teammates and girls from other gyms.

Alexis was excited when she found out about her scholarship, because it was a long process. This young athlete had to email many schools to try to get a scholarship and Sacramento State emailed her back. After receiving the email, people from the college came to watch her practice and a few days later, the coach from Sacramento State offered Alexis a full scholarship.

“Never give up, keeping working hard,” says Alexis to all of the people working hard in the world of gymnastics.

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

Falcon Football: September 11th game against McClintock

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

Will Falcon Football be Fantastic?

• Sports

Is it Possible to Play Sports in College and Get an Education?

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

300th Win For Our Own Coach Walters

• Sports

Woman Referee Breaks Gender Barrier

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

Standing in the Hall of Fame

• Sports

Falcons Fall to Cholla Chargers 52-55

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

Bringing Their Talent to the Next Level

• Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

Sports

Seniors Playing Sports in College

Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff