Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Photo Credit: Marisa Garcia

Rachel Davis, Journalist

This past Friday night, January 8, our very own Catalina Foothills High School Falcons faced off against the Cougars of Sahuaro High School. This game was anticipated to be a close one, as both teams are leaders in their respective sections.

Despite this, the first quarter started off slowly, with neither team scoring on their first seven possessions of the game. Eventually, senior Austin Kreinbrink hit a three-pointer for the Cougars with just over three minutes left in the first quarter. On the following possession by the Falcons, senior Nik Nehls was fouled and made both free throws.

Play continues as neither team can seem to run points on the other, until senior Bobby Padilla scores an easy layup off of a steal and assist by sophomore Sam Beskind. This put the Falcons up 4-3 until Nehls snagged a rebound with 20 seconds left in the first quarter.

Our boys pushed the ball down the court determined to get a shot off before the end of the quarter. A last-second jumper by Beskind fell, and the score at the end of the first was 6-3.

The second quarter started out much more exciting, with a quick rebound and putback by junior, Jimmy Stewart. On the other end, senior Samuel Brown of Sahuaro gets called for a charge, giving possession back to Foothills. The Falcons took advantage of this, as Padilla gets fouled going for a layup and hits both free throws.

A few possessions later, senior Liam Giffin hits a quick layup with 5:26 left in the second quarter to extend the Falcon lead to 12-3. Sahuaro finally broke through their scoreless quarter later with a two-pointer by junior, Brendan Gary.

Over two minutes run off of the clock before either team scores again. With 1:52 left in the second quarter, junior Jared Irwin came off of the bench and sunk a three pointer, extending the lead by ten points. Falcons were up 15-5.

The rest of the quarter was owned by the Cougars, as they tacked on three more points to make the score 15-8 going into the half.

The second half began with two quick baskets for both teams. Seniors Ryan Green and Samuel Brown both with a layup. Falcons led 17-10. Over a minute passed in the game until either team scored again. Falcon senior, Aaron Ayers was fouled and split on free throws at the line. With just under six minutes left in the third quarter Foothills began full court pressing Sahuaro.

Their efforts paid off, and by the end of the third the Falcons led 27-18. The fourth quarter was filled with high intensity play, as neither team ceased their efforts. The Cougars threatened to rally, cutting a 12-point Foothills lead to only seven points with just a minute left in regulation. Although SHS outscored us by two points in the last quarter, our Falcons held on to finish the game with a 35-28 victory.
The boys’ next game is today, January 13, at Cienega High School. Go Falcons!

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

Falcon Football: September 11th game against McClintock

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

Will Falcon Football be Fantastic?

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

Student Spotlight: Alexis Belkoff

• Sports

Is it Possible to Play Sports in College and Get an Education?

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

300th Win For Our Own Coach Walters

• Sports

Woman Referee Breaks Gender Barrier

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

Standing in the Hall of Fame

• Sports

Falcons Fall to Cholla Chargers 52-55

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

Bringing Their Talent to the Next Level

• Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro

Sports

Seniors Playing Sports in College

Foothills Slips Past Sahuaro