New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Photo Credit: Vanessa Ordway

Photo Credit: Vanessa Ordway

Hikaru Igarashi, Journalist

“Be prepared for Catalina Foothills to become the most envied high school in Arizona,” says junior Vanessa Ordway, a member of Student Council and the founder of the new Spirit Club: The Hills.

The club has a collection of ideas in store for the entire school year. The most important idea of them all is attending all types of school events, in order to support and recognize everyone’s incredible talents on campus.

Encouraging people to show more school spirit by wearing Falcon clothing or participating in spirit week is also a good way to show pride.

Homecoming of 2014 sparked an all-time high for Catalina Foothills High School, because there was a majority of students participating in spirit week and the pep rally was filled with amazing energy. The amount of support the spectators had for the football team during the game was incredible. The club’s goal is to maintain that kind of spirit every year.

In order to allow students to easily show their support without the hassle of dressing themselves up, the club is planning on setting up a table with accessories for students to pick up and wear before games.

They will also be advertising, congratulating and supporting all activities on campus via social media. By posting events on social media, word will get around quickly and people will understand everything that’s going on which will result in more student involvement.

Spirit Club became a committee in Student Council going into the 2015-2016 school year and over the course of three months, ideas were discussed about what a spirit club would look like. Once they figured out what it would look like, the plan was finalized and The Hills was created.

Meetings are held once a month during advisory on Mondays. In order to have a good relationship with each other and to work together towards a big change, there was a limitation of members.

Senior Brandon Falk, another member of The Hills, comments about the true meaning of showing spirit, “Showing spirit on campus is by being able to stand out in your classes by wearing spirited clothes, and also going to games and cheering for your school.”

Every member must be willing to dedicate time to the club and be the most enthusiastic person in their grade. Members will be held responsible for participating in all themes for games, advertising upcoming events and keeping in contact with the club.

Ordway said, “Spirit isn’t just dressing up and wearing face paint. Spirit is being excited to be involved and excited to support their peers. There are too many people that simply go through the motions because they feel as though there is nothing to be excited about. Our job is to give them something to look forward to.”

Student Council hopes that the club will help encourage students to show more school spirit and a place to show pride.

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

Legally Blonde Takes Over CFHS

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

How to Prepare for Standardized Tests

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

20 Things Every Freshman Should Know

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

Lunchroom Segregation

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

20 Things Every Incoming Senior Should Know

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

Meet Erin Garrett

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

Student Council Blood Drive

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Play Review

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

October 7th: Fall Choral Concert

• New Spirit Club Draws Attention

Student Life

Getting ready for Jekyll and Hyde

New Spirit Club Draws Attention