Will Falcon Football be Fantastic?

Photo Credit: Ellie Boiling

Photo Credit: Ellie Boiling

Jorge Atayde, Journalist

Fall means football, and this upcoming year should bring some fantastic games as our boys hope to bring home wins for the school. Players and students grow more excited for the football season to kick off.

Junior Kyle Benson said,  “We’ve trained hard over the summer. The team has definitely developed as a whole.” When asked who the toughest opposition was, he said, “The first game against Desert Edge. They’re number one in state right now, but Foothills is tough and I do think we have a chance at winning.”

After a loss to Desert Edge, the season was starting 0-1. Meaning dreams of a season leading to the playoffs were questioned. Especially, whether all the hype could be lived up this season.

Coach Scurran said, “Last week’s game shouldn’t have even been. Desert Edge has a much bigger team in men and players. In 108 degree weather it’s just not something we are used to. We just weren’t ready.”

Looking toward the future, Scurran said, “We are looking to do the best we can against Pueblo. They are more of an even match up. We are a very young team.”

However, there are some advantages to being the younger team Scurran answered, “We play smarter. Our work ethic and discipline makes us strong as a team mentally and physically. We just plan to get better one week at a time and hope to make the playoffs. Then, we’ll run from there.”

Varsity wide receiver Bryan Beckon said, “I feel great. The team is looking good, even better than last year. The goal is to bring home the title this year.” Surely the confidence in his response goes to show that the team will achieve great things.

As expected, the team and coaching staff are all saying good things about the team. To truly get a feel on how the upcoming season affects the school, more than just players must be interviewed. What does the Foothills fanbase have in store for this season?

Freshman Josue Martinez commented, “You could say I’m pretty excited about this upcoming season. I’ll definitely be at major games like the Homecoming.”  

Sophomore Adam Bechie had some more enthusiasm about the season, he said “Catch me repping the school every game, I’ve heard the season is going to be very good and I cannot wait to see our team bring home them wins.”

With the game against Pueblo more important than ever, the boys brought our first home game to a close with a win. The Falcons toppled the Warriors 30-24 bringing us to 1-1.
As the season now gets serious, the boys are 5-2 and still battling for the playoffs. A loss could mean the team is eliminated and replaced. Only three games remain in the season.Watch as the Catalina Foothills Homecoming game will be played against Nogales on Friday, Oct. 9. After Homecoming there will be a game at Sabino High School on Oct. 13, and to end the regular season, Senior night will be on Oct. 26 here at home. Make sure you support the team and student section by attending the games and making some noise.

Will Falcon Football be Fantastic?