Falcon Football: September 11th game against McClintock

Photo Credit: Katy Nowicki

Photo Credit: Katy Nowicki

Katy Nowicki, Journalist

Friday, Sept. 11, the Catalina Foothills High School Falcons had a home game against McClintock High School that would help determine each team’s fate as the playoffs draw closer.

The students, parents and siblings showed their support for CFHS by sporting their school’s colors and merchandise.

The game started off slow with both teams desperate to score. Neither team started off with any advantages. That was until the Falcons scored a touchdown with 6:54 left in the first quarter, thanks to a handoff from quarterback Rhett Rodriguez to make the score 6-0, with the kicker, Heath Kleindienst, making the extra point to make it 7-0.

After their first touchdown, the Falcons showed McClintock that they were serious about going to the playoffs by making the score 13-0 with 1:19 left in the first quarter. The Falcon crowd jumped to their feet and sent a roar throughout the stadium.

The Falcons continued to play well, scoring another touchdown and an extra point by the kicker with 8:02 left in second quarter. McClintock scored seven points shortly afterwards which made the CFHS crowd nervous about a possible comeback.

CFHS fought back a few minutes later making the score 26-7 with 38 seconds left in the first half.

After halftime, the Falcons kept their touchdown streak going by making the game 33-7 with 3:30 left in the third quarter. Their defense picked up the energy and was not going to let McClintock score again anytime soon.

The game ended with a final score of 40-7 with CFHS scoring another touchdown with 6:24 left in the game, making the crowd go wild. CFHS is now one step closer to making it to the playoffs, making it an overall successful season for head coach Jeff Scurran and the Falcons.
Jordyn Lovallo, a junior at CFHS stated, “The game was very eventful and never had a dull moment. I am proud to be a Falcon!”