Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Play Review

Catalina Foothills High School Theatre Department

Hikaru Igarashi, Journalist

I had the enjoyment of watching the suspenseful and thrilling play, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, that was performed magnificently at the Catalina Foothills High School theatre.

The show starts out with the introduction of a red door. Then it leads into Mr. Edward Hyde attacking a little girl but feeling no remorse for it. Mr. Enfield asks Mr. Hyde to make a compensation by paying money, and he receives a valid check from Mr. Hyde that is validated by Dr. Henry Jekyll. As the play progresses, other characters start to realize that there is a connection between Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll, which starts the suspense of the entire play.

All of the actors from the smallest role to the largest projected their voices to the back of the theatre and established their specific role perfectly through their movements. They showed expressions and made different gestures that were appropriate for the specific scene. There was a scene where senior Mary McCabe, who played Mr. Utterson and the inspector, was given a cup of tea from Poole. Instead of just holding the teacup, Mary took a sip from it and that gesture made it seem natural. Each simple action was performed well and in a diverse way that captured the audience’s attention.

The beautiful and detailed set emphasized the different moods throughout the play. For moods that were dark, the lighting was dimmed and eerie music was played in the background. While scenes that were less dark, the lights were brighter and illuminated the entire stage. The props used were detailed, from large furniture like chairs to decor like a deer’s head. Behind the actual scene, there was a large backdrop of an old building that helped create an eerie mood to the already dark ambiance that the props created.

The costumes designed, by Megan Wiese, assisted by Tina Finley, reflected the Victorian era.

Junior Eliana Combs said, “This play is one of my favorite plays! I was engaged throughout the entire production and found myself wanting to see more.”

The play was wonderful and if you didn’t see it, then you missed out!

Upcoming plays in December include You can’t take it with you and The Odd Couple. The performance dates for You can’t take it with you are Dec. 3-5 at 7:30 p.m. and Dec. 5 at 2 p.m. The performance dates for The Odd Couple are Dec. 10-12 at 7:30 p.m. and Dec. 12 at 2 p.m. In case you missed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, don’t forget to see these two upcoming plays.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Play Review