Student Council Blood Drive

Photo credit: Katy Nowicki

Photo credit: Katy Nowicki

Katy Nowicki, Journalist

The Catalina Foothills High School student council held their annual blood drive on Tuesday Oct. 21.

The purpose of the drive was to help gather and provide blood to those who are in need of a blood transfusion, which is the only way to get the vital fluid in the case that the victim was in a car accident, a trauma inflicting accident or is a cancer patient.

In order to participate in the blood drive, students must have been a minimum of 16 years of age with parental consent. Otherwise, anyone who is 17 years of age or older does not need consent.

Also, male donors who are 4 feet 10 inches tall must weigh a minimum of 118 pounds, 114 pounds if they are 4 feet 11 inches and 110 pounds if they are 5 feet or taller.

For female students, the minimum height is 5 feet 1 inch and minimum weight is 133 pounds. If the student is 5 feet 6 inches or taller, they must weigh at least 110 pounds.

The steps needed to be taken in order to participate in the blood drive included: registration with a parental consent form (if necessary) and a photo ID card, receiving a short physical exam by a licensed doctor, then proceeding to donate blood and relaxing before proceeding on with the school day. This will ensure the process goes smoothly and does not cause a student to become ill.
Junior Jordyn Lovallo states, “The blood drive looked like it went well and had many donors to help those in need.” The student council has accomplished their goal of persuading many CFHS students to donate blood to those in need. Overall, 40 units were donated, which equals nearly 130 lives helped.

Student Council Blood Drive