Meet Erin Garrett

Photo Credit: Erin Garrett

Photo Credit: Erin Garrett

Kassy Carreon, Journalist

Erin Garrett is one of many students at Catalina Foothills High School who has a special talent. She enjoys singing opera and has been doing so for nine years.

When she was younger she participated in many musicals and plays. “One year I got involved in a musical, and performed a song. It was the first time I had sung something that was performed in front of other people. My mom noticed that I was actually pretty decent so she decided to put me in private voice lessons,” said Garrett.  She has been taking voice lessons since the fourth grade.

Garrett spends most of her time out of her house with her boyfriend and friends who support her singing. She is a part of the CFHS marching band which takes up most of her time at the beginning of the school year. She is currently trying to get into Indiana State University so she can study voice and be able to one day earn a Bachelor’s Degree of Vocal Performance. Garrett also hopes to one day be an agent for a young opera singer.

Her parents inspire her to keep singing, and they have support her along the way, she said. They have helped her find opportunities, and sacrificed many family events to be able to be by her side, she added.

“There’s something about music that evokes so much emotion and expression within you that it’s almost tangible,” Garrett said. Music has always been a big part of her life, and she’s always caught singing around the house or in public.

Garrett hopes to one day be able to sing with Andrea Bocelli because of what she describes as his amazing, breathtaking voice. She says that she can only strive to make it big as a performer, because of the competitive nature of the field.

Meet Erin Garrett