Banning of Hoverboards Are Becoming More Frequent

Photo Credit: Hoverboard 360

Photo Credit: Hoverboard 360

Victoria Ariate-Jover, Journalist

Hoverboards are becoming so common that you are seeing people riding in malls, grocery stores and schools. Yet many places are beginning to ban the use of them.

Recently, the University of Arizona made an announcement saying that hoverboards were banned in all housing areas due to safety concerns. UA is not the only campus that has banned their use. Many schools around the country have banned them on campus for similar reasons.

Not only universities, but communities as well.

Hoverboards have become a huge hit within the past few months and can be seen almost everywhere. According to CNBC, more than 5,000 hoverboards were bought on eBay on Black Friday. Regardless of the many concerns with this new high-tech toy, many people are still crazy over it.

The main concern with these hoverboards is that there have been several cases of them catching on fire while being used or when they are being charged.  

Senior Brandon Falk is a fan of hoverboards, but does not have one, “I’m not gonna lie, I think hoverboards are cool. I’ve always wanted one but I always think to myself, ‘is it worth the risk of having your house burned down or having your life in jeopardy?’ I did want one, but there are many other things to do with my time than riding a hoverboard, like lifting at the gym.”

Take caution if you’re wanting to buy a hoverboard. Many people have said it’s better to spend the $600 on a good quality board, rather than a cheap one. However, you are able to find many of good quality on Amazon, but remember hoverboards are prohibited at school.