20 Things Every Freshman Should Know

Photo Credit: Scrubs123

Photo Credit: Scrubs123

By: Victoria Ariate-Jover, Journalist

Freshman year is scary. The campus is bigger, there are more people and it is a huge transition from middle school. Here are tips to help you survive your freshman year:

1. Do not stand in front of doors or in the middle of the hallway. People will not hesitate to tell you to move. Just don’t do it.
  2. Make new friends! You can keep your friends from middle school, but talk to new people. You never know who you’ll get close to the next few years.
  3. Do not let high school be your peak in life. You should aim to peak after you graduate college and start your career.
  4. Get involved in as many things as you can: join a sports team, clubs, theater, marching band or choir. There are many options available to you.
  5. They say that freshman year doesn’t matter. That’s a lie. Your GPA your freshman year is the base of your entire high school career.
  6. One bad test grade is not the end of the world. Study more next time and it will be okay.
  7. Freshmen always lose spirit competitions at pep rallies. It’s a tradition, sorry.
  8. It’s important to not procrastinate on an essay or a project. You will regret not sleeping the night before.
  9. You have three more years until you have to think about college, but always keep an open-mind on what you would want to do.
  10. Don’t take things so seriously. You’re only in high school once, enjoy every second of it.
  11. People can be really mean. Don’t put yourself near those types of people, it’s nothing but negative energy.
  12. You shouldn’t feel the need to change who you are for anyone. If someone cannot accept you for who you are, forget about them. You don’t need those people in your life anyway.
  13. Respect the upperclassmen. You will know exactly what I am talking about once you are one.
  14. Get your P.E. and health class done as soon as you can. You don’t want to wait until you’re a junior or senior and you’re surrounded by underclassmen.
  15. You have many resources if you need to catch up on your grades. Talk to your teachers or go get help from NHS students.
  16. You may give up a lot of time for your social life, but it will be worth it when your grades are superb and you get into the college of your choice four years later.
  17. Keep in mind that not everyone seems to be your friend in high school. People can pretend to be your friend just to get some gossip for their friends. Choose your friends wisely.
  18. Respect your teachers. You may be in high school now, but that does not give you any right to be rude and obnoxious.
  19. You will experience many ups and downs the next four years. Some kids enjoy high school more than others, but honestly it’s what you make of it. Take advantage of your youth and have fun.
  20. The moment you step onto campus that first day of school, your senior year will come in a flash. It is unbelievable how high school flies by. You will change into a completely different person from your freshman year. Enjoy every second of it.

20 Things Every Freshman Should Know