Halloween Recipes

Allison Bleaman, Journalist

Halloween is one of the most popular holidays of the year. Despite the fun wrapped around the creative costumes everyone gets to wear, people also get to test out all the fun new Halloween recipes. Baking has become more and more popular especially with the help of social media and Halloween is a time where people get to take their baking skills to an extremely creative level. Some examples of this include gummy worm Jell-o, ghost shaped cookies, vampire donuts, and pumpkin designed cupcakes, the possibilities are truly endless. Although many have started to switch it up and use more healthy options when making these treats, kids simply aren’t interested in the health food on Halloween.

Probably the most popular and easy form of Halloween treats is decorating cupcakes. Any creative mind can think of an unlimited amount of ideas for how to decorate your cupcakes. Possible ideas include spiders, mummies, pumpkins and ghost cupcakes. If you were thinking about moving more outside the box, below is a recipe for meringue ghosts tartlets!

Ingredients:

Graham Cracker Crust

• 8 large graham cracker planks
  • ⅓ c. sugar
  • 6 tbsp. melted butter

Chocolate Ganache

• ½ c. heavy cream
  • 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate

Meringue Ghosts

• 1½ c. sugar
  • 6 large egg whites
  • 1 tsp. cocoa powder

Directions

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • To make Graham Cracker Crust: Crush graham crackers into pieces. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor; add sugar. Process until crackers form a very fine crumb. Add butter, and pulse to combine.
  • Pack graham cracker mixture into 8 (2 1/2-inch) mini tart pans; transfer to a baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes or until the edges of the tartlets darken slightly. Let cool.
  • To make Chocolate Ganache: Heat cream in a small saucepan over low heat until barely simmering. Remove from heat, add chocolate, and whisk well until very smooth. Spoon into graham crusts.
  • To make Meringue Ghosts: Heat 3 inches of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Place sugar and egg whites in a heat-proof bowl. Place bowl over the water and whisk to combine the sugar and egg whites. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot to the touch. (Rub a bit between your fingers. If it feels gritty, the sugar has not dissolved.)
  • Remove bowl from the stove and beat egg white mixture with the whisk attachment of an electric mixer until shiny stiff peaks form. Transfer meringue to a plastic pastry bag, snip the end to about 1 1/2 inches wide, and pipe 4-inch-tall ghost shapes onto the ganache.
  • Use a small paint brush dipped in cocoa to form the eyes and mouth. Serve immediately.

Jernow, Liza. “Meringue Ghost Tartlets.” Country Living, 14 Sept. 2015, www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a5910/meringue-ghost-tartlets-recipe-clx1014/.

Halloween Recipes