The Slaughterhouse

Zayra Brown and Makenzie Hillegass

In order to truly be able to write about the Slaughterhouse we had to go and experience it ourselves. We would recommend going in early October like we did because there were no crowds of people and the lines were relatively short. After we experienced the chilling haunt we met up with the Front Of the House Manager Sierra Sutton to ask some questions and take some behind the scenes pictures.

1. Can you tell us a bit more about the history of The Slaughterhouse?

Slaughterhouse is a 501C3 charity that puts on an annual Haunted House in Tucson. We donate back to groups in our community like PACC, multiple high school drama clubs as well as other high school clubs and organizations, U of A Fraternities and Sororities, local pee wee football teams and more. The building we currently reside in has a whole lot of history. There were actually a few real accidental deaths and a couple murders inside of the building and we believe one of the people who died, Doug who we have nicknamed Dougie, still actually haunts the building. Dougie is actually in our logos and a lot of our t-shirts, etc. As far as the history of the company, we started doing haunted houses back in the day as a fundraiser for a local baseball team that our founder, Bobby Sutton, a coach and father. Since then the haunt has grown into Tucson’s Scariest with new additions and scares every year.

1. Where do you guys get your inspiration from when coming up with new haunts?

A lot of our inspiration comes from within, we have quite a few members of our team that have been professional haunters all of their lives. We definitely use current trends in our haunt to make it relevant― look out for a single red balloon on the yard this year if you come by! We also get to travel around the world to different haunted houses with Apocalypse, our Interactive Zombie Shooting Attraction that is currently on it’s second year of a world tour. Other haunts help inspire new ideas for us as we show them how to incorporate Apocalypse in their own attractions.

1. What do you think makes The Slaughterhouse so successful over these past years?

I think we are successful because not only are we very scary, we give back to our community too! You also won’t find many places around the country or the world that can run 5 full size haunted house attractions every night they are open – so when people come there is always somethings else to do once you finish your first walk through!

1. Finally, what are you most excited for people to see/experience when they come to The Slaughterhouse and what are you most excited about?

We have lots of cool new things this year but some of the most exciting will be our two new Mini Escape Rooms! They are only $5 each and they will give you a taste of XscapeHouse – the newest year round addition to the Slaughterhouse coming next year! Personally I am most excited for our new Mini Donut Machine!

The Slaughterhouse