The 2018 Oscars

Ayla Ahmad, Journalist

Everyone remembers the incident at the Oscars last year – I always forget, did Moonlight or La La Land win best picture? Certainly no one can forget how the Oscars embraced diversity with film nominations such as Fences, Lion and Hidden Figures. The late night talk show host, Jimmy Kimmel, also made some witty comments about Trump’s first couple months in office, but as notable as the Oscars were last year, many changes within the entertainment industry have triggered a massive movement of actors with regards to sexual assault and initiatives to stomp out harassment once and for all.

For the first time in decades, Harvey Weinstein did not attend the Oscars this past Sunday, on March 4th. Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel, apart from celebrating 90 years of the Academy’s work, made a point to address the changing stereotypes of men in Hollywood.

“But what happened with Harvey, and what’s happening all over, was long overdue. We can’t let bad behavior slide anymore. The world is watching us. We need to set an example and the truth is if we are successful here, if we can work together to stop sexual harassment in the workplace, if we can do that, women will only have to deal with harassment all the time at every other place they go, (New York Times)

Many argue that the Oscars should simply focus on the commemoration of filmmaking, but this field is unique in that it explores all aspects of life. In this case, the evolving role of women and men in Hollywood should be a politically charged topic, especially at an event as grandiose as the Oscars. Kimmel made no attempt to hold back jokes that contained subtle commentary on this issue throughout the evening.  

We will remember this year as the year men screwed up so badly, women started dating fish,” he joked with a nod to Guillermo del Toro, director of best picture The Shape of Water, according to People Movies.

On top of this, Frances McDormand, star of Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, made a passionate speech after she won best actress that echoed the same sentiments that women have been sharing in recent months― of course, delivered with McDormand’s spunk and determination. After setting the award down on the floor, she called for every woman nominee in the Dolby Theatre to stand in solidarity and urged industry moguls to recognize female talent.

“We all have stories to tell and projects we need financed,” she said, “Don’t talk to us about it at the parties tonight. Invite us into your office in a couple days, or you can come to ours, whatever suits you best, and we’ll tell you all about them, (Harper’s Bazaar)

McDormand ended her speech with the last statement, “I have two words to leave with you tonight, ladies and gentlemen: inclusion rider.” According to NPR, “inclusion rider” refers to the demand “that actors and actresses can ask to have [gender distribution] inserted into their contracts, which would require a certain level of diversity among a film’s cast and crew.” McDormand’s speech and the continuing efforts of the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements will further strengthen the desire for change and equality.

Other highlights of this year’s Oscars included Kimmel rounding up Oscar audience members― such as Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Gal Gadot, and Guillermo del Toro― to hand out snacks to people watching A Wrinkle in Time at a neighboring movie theatre, the USA Today reported. Armie Hammer and other celebrities shot hot dogs from canons and surprised the overwhelmed movie watchers.

Another noteworthy part of the Oscars was Kimmel’s promise in his opening monologue to hand out a free jet ski to the winner with the shortest acceptance speech; surprisingly, many celebrities incorporated their wish to win such a prize. According to USA Today, “Roger Deakins, taking best cinematography for Blade Runner 2049, joked, ‘I guess I better say something or else they’ll give me a Jet Ski.’” Gary Oldman, winning best actor for Darkest Hour, quipped, “I’m not going to get the ski” amid his rambling speech. Mark Bridges, who won best costume design for Phantom Thread, ultimately made the shortest speech and was wheeled out on the Jet Ski at the end of the show.”

This Oscars will be remembered for reinforcing the changing role of women in all careers, with the most emphasis on the entertainment field. Hollywood is now embracing female empowerment, which is a step forward in the future of equality.

Citations:

Deb, Sopan. “Oscars 2018: Jimmy Kimmel’s Opening Monologue, Transcribed.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 4 Mar. 2018.

Dwyer, Colin. “What’s An Inclusion Rider? Here’s The Story Behind Frances McDormand’s Closing Words.” Arizona Public Media, NPR, 5 Mar. 2018.

Kosin, Julie. “Frances McDormand Just Brought Down the House with Her Oscars Speech.”Harper’s BAZAAR, Hearst Communications, 5 Mar. 2018.

Quinn, Dave. “Jimmy Kimmel Kicks Off the 2018 Oscars with a Biting Opening Monologue.”PEOPLE.com, People Movies, 4 Mar. 2018.

Ryan, Patrick. “7 Things You Should Know Happened at the Oscars.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 5 Mar. 2018.

Image 1: http://variety.com/2017/film/in-contention/oscars-mistake-warren-beatty-announces-wrong-winner-la-la-land-moonlight-1201995099/

Image 2: http://frostsnow.com/american-television-host-jimmy-kimmel-is-back-again-to-host-oscar-2018-thanks-the-academy

Image 3: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/harvey-weinstein-casting-couch-statue-1202715258/

Image 4: http://www.startribune.com/frances-mcdormand-brings-inclusion-rider-into-spotlight/475797073/

The 2018 Oscars