Catalina Foothills Goes to the First Full Tournament of the Year

Yusuf Rahman, Journalist

On October 20th and 21st, the Catalina Foothills Speech and Debate team competed in their first complete tournament, which was held at Red Mountain High School in Phoenix.  This was the first major tournament of the year as  nearly twenty  people from the team traveled, and turned out to be a huge success.

The tournament offered the full selection of debate and speech events. Debate events include Lincoln-Douglas, which is a one versus one debate that focuses on morals and ethics. There were also events such as Congressional Debate, which simulates the real United States Congress. The school competed in all of the debate formats, and was the most successful  in Lincoln-Douglas, with multiple people advancing to quarter-finals and semi-finals. On the speech side of things, there were a wide variety of events offered. These included interpretation events, which involves choosing a play or other literary work and acting it out from your perspective. There are also platform events, which include events such as Original Oratory, which is a ten minute persuasive speech. Finally, there are also speech events where you have to think impromptu, such as Extemporaneous speaking, where you have 30 minutes to prepare a seven  minute speech on a current issue, global or domestic. The Catalina Foothills team competed in nearly every speech event.

The team enjoyed a good amount of success at the tournament. Overall, Catalina Foothills placed fourth in the entire tournament, out of thirty-three schools. Many students also won individual awards across all of the events offered. The team’s next tournament will take place on November 17th and 18th, and hopes to continue its success there as well.