Feel the Bern

Photo Credit: Twitter

Photo Credit: Twitter

Victoria Ariate-Jover, Journalist

Are you one to “Feel the Bern”? Bernie Sanders, that is. Friday, Oct. 9, Bernie Sanders made an appearance at Reid Park to spread the word on his campaign for the 2016 election.

For those of you who are unaware of who Sanders is, he is a United States Senator from Vermont. He is one of the six Democratic candidates running for the 2016 presidential election. Some of Sanders’ views surround racial justice, women’s rights, LGBT equality, equal pay within genders, climate change and many more.

Senior Becca Groff went to the rally and says, “The rally was incredible! It was refreshing to be in an environment where everyone had the same ideals as me. Seeing Bernie in person made me really excited for the upcoming presidential election. Felt the Bern for sure.”

It has been reported by the Arizona Daily Wildcat, University of Arizona’s newspaper, that there were about 13,000 people at Reid Park to hear Sanders speak. The main issues he spoke about were gun control, immigration, unemployment, voting and campaign finance and education.

Tucson was not expecting Sanders to have such a big turnout at the one hour rally. There was an expected number of 7,000 people to show up according to Tucson News, but the numbers grew rapidly. Sanders was on his way to CNN’s Democratic Debate in Las Vegas that following week and decided to stop in Tucson.

Senior Natalie Aaronson, who was also at Sanders rally said, “What stood out to me about Bernie’s speech was the feeling of authenticity. While he very obviously had a speech prepared and talking points as to how his campaign connected more specifically to our town, he spoke very candidly and eloquently, and yet didn’t seem embarrassed if he stumbled a word or two.”

That is not a surprise though, Sanders is known to be a very good speaker.

Aaronson continues, “His speech felt more like a conversation than that of other politicians I’ve heard and I responded very well to that as I’m sure many people do. To me, Bernie’s speech really solidified my opinion of him by solidifying his commitment to listening to the average American.”

As America gets closer to the 2016 elections, there will only be more debates and campaigns around the country and Tucson was lucky to have one of the candidates come out and speak.

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Education Is Not as Easy as ABC, 123 in Arizona: A Comprehensive Look at Proposition 123

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Banning of Hoverboards Are Becoming More Frequent

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Parental Control on Technology

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Leonardo DiCaprio Wins a Golden Globe for “The Revenant”

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Will Editing on Twitter Be a New Feature?

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Teen Exhaustion

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Dogs in Hot Cars

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Banksy’s Dismaland

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Red Light Cameras

• Feel the Bern

Business Currents

Ojo Blanco Fire Scorches 1,960 Acres

Feel the Bern