VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Photo Credit: Music Television

Photo Credit: Music Television

Victoria Ariate-Jover, Journalist

Taylor Swift presented Kanye West’s award? Tension between Miley Cyrus and Nicki Minaj arises. Justin Bieber made a comeback? Kanye West announced his campaign for the Presidential Election in 2020? Video Music Awards was the night that had it all.

Sunday, Aug. 30 the Video Music Awards was the number one trending topic on Twitter. For those of you who are unaware of what the VMA’s are, it is an award show hosted by Music Television and they award many popular mainstream artists whom have been successful within the past few years. The VMA’s are held once a year towards the end of summer.

This year’s host was the very well-known artist, actress and former Disney star, Miley Cyrus. With her interesting and wacky personality, the VMA’s was definitely in-line for a night of entertainment.

The show started with a performance from Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift performing Minaj’s song, “Trini Dem Girls” and “The Night Is Still Young” and Swift’s songs  and “Bad Blood”.

After the performance, Minaj won her award of Best Hip Hop Video and called out Miley Cyrus for bashing her [Minaj] in a recent interview Cyrus did. Cyrus was caught-off guard and shot back, “Hey, we’re all in this industry, we all do interviews and we all know how they manipulate stuff. Nicki, congratulations.”

Throughout the night there were performances from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, The Weeknd, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Tori Kelly, Pharrell Williams, Twenty One Pilots, and last but not least, Miley Cyrus.

Justin Bieber made a comeback with his performance of “Where Are U Now” and “What Do You Mean?”. The performance was full of bright lights, incredible dancing, special effects and upbeat music. After the outstanding performance, Bieber broke down in tears and Cyrus exclaimed, “Wow,” multiple times after.

The last memorable event at the VMA’s was when Taylor Swift presented Kanye West the MTV Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award which is also known as the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Flashback to the year 2009 when Kanye West interrupted Taylor Swift during her speech for Video of the Year, it was ironic to have Swift present West with this reward. Swift was very polite about West, and even brought up how she bought West’s album when she was 12.

When West went up to the stage to receive his reward, he had a very powerful speech. Although he said, “bro” a lot, his words had an impact, “I will die for the art! For what I believe in.”

At the end of his speech, he then announced, “I don’t know what I’m fittin’ lose after this, it don’t matter though cause it ain’t about me. It’s about ideas, bro. New ideas. People with ideas. People who believe in truth. And yes, as you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president.”

Is West serious? I guess Donald Trump isn’t the only one who has shocked everyone with his campaign announcement.

The VMA’s was fun to watch with many surprises throughout the night. It’s never a bad time to watch a bunch of celebrities interact with one another. Until next year, VMA’s!

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

Justin Bieber Back At It Again With The New Album

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

A Taste of the Philippines

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

Improve Your Health at AZ Core Nutrition

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

Golden Dragon Review

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

Downtown Hotspot

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

How To Spend Your Saturday Nights

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

Tucson Tamale Company Review

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

IQ Fresh Review

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

Zona 78 Review

• VMA’s: Yay or Nay

Health and Wellness

We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

VMA’s: Yay or Nay