Golden Dragon Review

Photo Credit: Lyssa Gascon

Photo Credit: Lyssa Gascon

Lyssa Gascon, Journalist

Craving some Asian cuisine after school? You can just take a short walk to Golden Dragon, a Chinese restaurant located on East Sunrise Drive.

Golden Dragon has two other locations on North Oracle Road and East Speedway Boulevard. Golden Dragon on East Sunrise Drive is open all seven days of the week. From Monday to Friday they are open from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and re-open for dinner from 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays, they are open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Outside the East Sunrise Drive restaurant, there is nothing significant about it and looks like the other neighboring businesses. Inside, there are plenty of booths and some tables and chairs for bigger groups. There is also a Chinese-themed archway with two golden dragons on the sides.  

After being seated, the server asked for our drinks. The server was enthusiastic and helpful throughout the whole meal, occasionally checking up on how the food tasted and if we needed anything.

The restaurant offers many Asian dishes ranging from BBQ spareribs to Peking duck. I ordered from the lunch menu which is only available from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays and 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

Golden Dragon has 17 selections available on the lunch menu. All entrees come with egg flower soup, which can be upgraded to hot and sour soup or wonton soup for a small fee. The entrees also come with fried rice and fried wontons and most of the entrees cost $5.95. Three of the entrees cost $7.95, but the whole menu is a bargain.

I ordered the sesame chicken. The menu describes the sesame chicken as, “Crispy chicken smothered with sesame seeds and green onions in a hot, spicy sauce.” If spicy food isn’t for you, you can order a mild version of the dish.

I also ordered crab puffs from the appetizer menu. For $5.25, you get eight imitation crab meat puffs with cream cheese and green onions in a crispy wrapping.

I requested the egg flower soup. The serving is for an individual and is served at the perfect temperature. You can immediately take a spoonful of soup in your mouth without scalding your tongue. The soup was good, but there was nothing significant about it and tastes like other egg flower soups.

The crab puffs were served with sweet and sour sauce and Chinese hot mustard. They were fairly small and all I could really taste was the cream cheese. This dish was not satisfying and I wouldn’t order this again.

The sesame chicken was served last. The dish came on a square plate with fried wontons in sweet and sour sauce in one corner and the fried rice on another.

The sesame chicken was delicious. The chicken is crispy and bite-sized smothered in hot sauce.

It gets spicier as you take more bites, but it’s tangy and tastes great with rice. The serving size was pretty big so I recommend sharing it with someone unless you don’t mind having leftovers.

“I love the menu. I get the sweet and sour chicken most of the time and I love it,” freshman Judy Sammani comments.

Overall, the price is great for the amount of food you’d be getting, the food is fantastic, the service is quick and polite. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone craving some delicious Asian cuisine.

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

Justin Bieber Back At It Again With The New Album

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

A Taste of the Philippines

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

Improve Your Health at AZ Core Nutrition

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

Downtown Hotspot

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

How To Spend Your Saturday Nights

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

Tucson Tamale Company Review

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

VMA’s: Yay or Nay

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

IQ Fresh Review

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

Zona 78 Review

• Golden Dragon Review

Health and Wellness

We All Scream for Cashew Ice Cream

Golden Dragon Review