Fall Fling-An Underappreciated Start to the Year

Friday, August 11th, 2017-as the sun set over the dreamy Tucson skyline, students at Catalina Foothills High School rushed on to the multipurpose field in hopes of enjoying an evening of games and activities. The school’s Family Faculty Organization or FFO was responsible for the event. The event was held to raise money for the FFO that provides staff appreciation breakfast and or lunches each month, the career and counseling center, parent volunteer support for teachers, and the school’s infamous grad night. The event was open to students in all grades and their families and all inclusive wristbands were $20.

The high school students paid for their wristbands and made their way onto the field where varying attractions awaited. On the right side of the field there were numerous diverse inflatable sporting games such as throwing footballs, kicking soccer balls, hitting baseballs, and more. To their left was the exhilarating foam zone where piles of monstrous white bubbles plowed over students. In the center of the space a photo booth was set up that allowed students to capture memories from the exciting evening and last, but certainly not least, there was a silent disco which is a new and trending way to dance. The company provides earphones that block out all sound and blast music. Everyone then dances together and are all listening to the same music though people with no headphones can hear it.

The event, though a huge success unfortunately had a low attendance rate among students due to a slight lack of awareness of the event due to minimal advertising. The majority of the population was freshmen and sophomores along with a few juniors and seniors. Being the first event of the school year it was disappointing that more juniors and seniors were not present. Hopefully more advertising will be prevalent for future events, so students won’t miss out on amazing opportunities to experience High School such as Fall Fling. However, either way the night was one to remember and an underappreciated fantastic way to start the year.   

Quotes from Students Pertaining to Fall Fling:

“So much fun and a great way to meet new people at the beginning of the year.” – Rebecca Larson, Junior

“Great evening put on by the FFO with lots of fun activities and great people.” -Victoria Yatsenko, Junior