Things to do in the Morning to Make Your Day More Productive

Jenna Fitzgerald, Journalist

As students in high school it can be very difficult to have a productive day among our busy and exhausting schedules. Between waking up early and going to school all day and either doing things around the house, sports, extracurriculars, work or all of the above, and going to bed late and doing it all over again, it can feel nearly impossible to be productive throughout the day. However, making some small changes to your morning routine can make an immense difference in your productivity throughout the day.

One of the most important things to do in the morning is to make sure that you have enough energy to take on the day in front of you. The first thing to do is to drink a cup or two of water immediately when you wake up. Our bodies tend to become very dehydrated overnight and if we don’t replenish what we lost first thing in the morning, our bodies can be very sluggish throughout the entire day. Although it can be difficult to make time for breakfast in the morning, it can make all the difference in your day. A majority of us tend to wake up at just the right time that gives up enough time to get dressed and walk out the door but waking up ten to twenty minutes earlier to make time for breakfast is definitely worth it. Since our metabolism works faster earlier in the day, it makes it easier for our body to convert the calories we eat into energy first thing in the morning. Skipping breakfast not only affects your energy in the morning but it is also proven that it can cause you to overeat later in the day allowing you to feel even more lazy and unmotivated. Lastly, have some caffeine! This one is pretty obvious but having a cup of coffee or some tea in the morning can give you the extra boost you need to get through the day.

Desk with planner and foodLastly, having a set plan ahead of time can allow you to stay on track in the morning, eliminating any possibility of becoming stressed or running late and starting your day off on a bad note. Set a specific time that you would like to wake up every day and resist hitting the snooze button when the alarm goes off in the morning. Sticking to a routine can keep you on track even when your mind is still half asleep. Whether that includes working out, eating breakfast right away in the morning or even just planning to stay in bed for an extra fifteen minutes, sticking to a plan helps you to stay on track and make sure that you’re getting everything done in whatever amount of time you may have before you have to walk out the door in the morning. Although all of these things are simple seem pretty obvious, adding these things to your morning routine can make all the difference in your productivity and motivation throughout the day.

Source:

DiGiulio, Sarah. “How to Start Your Day on the Right Foot, so It Ends That Way,   

Too.”NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 22 Jan. 2018,  

www.nbcnews.com/better/health/9-things-do-morning-make-your-whole-day-more-productive-ncna772446.