The Solar Eclipse

Ayla Ahmad and Alyssa Klingensmith

Did you hear about the solar eclipse last week? If you didn’t, you must have been baffled by a half-covered sun, the sudden drop in temperature, or the crowds of people wearing plastic glasses pushing you to move out of the way. Last Monday, on August 21st, people all around the world traveled to different parts of America to see a total solar eclipse, the last one continental event occurring in 1979. As the New York Times wrote, “Darkness descended, the summer air caught a quick chill, Venus and some stars appeared in the near-sight sky….Even humans – Who knew what was going on – were left to hunt for words to describe the spectacle.”

A solar eclipse is when the moon goes in the path of the sun. This causes the sun to be either fully blocked or partially blocked depending on where you are located. This solar eclipse has a path that it travels through; in that path the sun will be fully blocked for about two minutes.

However, safety was a huge concern for children and adults. The University of Arizona was selling Solar Eclipse glasses in order to prevent retinal damages for those watching the eclipse. The University of Arizona also had an event that had activities, like telescopes to view the eclipse from, different learning events for younger kids, meant to educate everyone. The country as a whole educated the public by having adults who had suffered eye damage in the past spoke about the dangers of staring into the sun directly, especially for long periods of time. The Washington Post had recently interviewed two men about their past, who discussed the fateful decision to stare at

a solar eclipse in their Junior year, “‘We didn’t know right that second that we damaged our eyes’…’At that time, we thought we were invincible, as most teenagers do’…’We had looked down at the ground and you’re still looking at part of the eclipse like it’s imprinted in your eye.’”

Unfortunately, Arizona wasn’t in the path of totality, Tucson saw about a 60 percent coverage. Unlike Oregon and South Carolina, who were in the path of totality. However, it was still a spectacular view for Tucsonans and Falcon students all around. But if you are discouraged about missing the full eclipse, don’t worry, the next total eclipse will occur in 2024, so prepare ahead of time to experience this astronomical wonder.

The Solar Eclipse