Hurricane Irma: Natural Disaster

Molly Glenn, Journalist

Category 4.5 Hurricane Irma tore through Cuba, Puerto Rico, and South Florida relentlessly, leading to a death toll of 102, as well as billions of dollars in damage.  The path of destruction began in Puerto Rico, stretched up to Cuba, the Bahamas, and eventually the Florida Keys. The storm continued to batter South Florida until it ultimately dissipated on the eastern coast of the United States. Along with this, multiple other hurricanes, such as Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Maria, arose during the 2017 hurricane season.

This high frequency of monstrous storms in one year is astounding, and was unexpected after several years of considerable inactivity. Many scientists are linking this weather to climate change, but many others view climate change a minor contribution. Mayor of Miami, Tomás Regalado, claimed, “If this isn’t climate change, I don’t know what is. This is a truly, truly poster child for what is to come” (Friedman, 1). As someone who is directly linked to an affected city, Regalado’s opinion should be valued. South Florida will cost billions to rebuild, and the government is doing everything they can to help.

The extensive level of damage in South Florida, as well as the flooding in Houston which was a direct result of Hurricane Harvey, left many families without food or shelter. According to CNN, only 18% of Florida homeowners have flood insurance and based on the severity of the disaster, this is incredibly devastating for many (Horowitz, 2).This traumatic hurricane season has united Americans as many people are making an effort to help hurricane victims. The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund and Irma Relief Fund are accepting donations now (Caron, 1) (Fortin, 2)! Every donation will help families affected by this devastating hurricane season. In conclusion hurricanes like Irma may easily serve as a warning sign for not only the nation, but the entire planet. Rebuilding storm-torn areas and preparing for the next disaster should now be the focus of organizations looking to help.

For More Information:

www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/donate-harvey-charities-scams.html?mcubz=1.

www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/climate/hurricane-irma-climate-change.html?mcubz=0.

money.cnn.com/2017/09/15/news/economy/irma-harvey-damage-who-pays/index.html.

Photos:

Photo 1: NOAA/CIRA

Photo 2: Hurricane Irma path update: The latest wind map from the NOAA National Hurricane Center

Photo 3: Images captured by a drone show damage in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma making landfall in Naples, Fla., Sept. 10, 2017.

Photo 4: People in the Florida Keys leave town on Wednesday, September 6.

Hurricane Irma: Natural Disaster