Could Oprah Be the Next U.S. President?

Molly Glenn, Journalist

America’s favorite television host and feminist icon, Oprah Winfrey, gave an overwhelmingly compelling speech at the Golden Globes, calling women to action and offering a sense of hope and unity as she stated with confidence, “I want all the girls watching here and now to know that a new day is on the horizon.” Along with the overwhelming support Winfrey received for her motivating speech, there has been lots of talk about a possible presidential campaign in 2020.

Since her speech at the Golden Globes, Winfrey has not released any more information about the shocking decision, which means that she has not outright denied the possibility of running for president in 2020. Although she has not confirmed it either, Stedman Graham, Oprah’s lifelong partner, believes that Winfrey would certainly take on the challenge. There has been an overwhelming wave of support for Winfrey through Twitter and other social media outlets, with a seemingly unlimited amount of hashtags and comments. The 2016 election only further proved that a celebrity with no previous political experience does have a chance at becoming president. However, some believe that Winfrey does not stand a chance.

If Oprah does indeed run for president, many question her ability to handle such an important role in the government. Senator Elizabeth Warren, another potential candidate, stated that she doesn’t know if America would vote for another celebrity, based on the circumstances with Trump as the current U.S. President. Although Winfrey is certainly amazing at what she does, it is unknown the the American people whether or not she would be an exceptional political leader. However, the possibility that Oprah could be a candidate for the 2020 presidential election remains.

President Donald Trump and Oprah Winfrey

For More Information:

Haines, Tim. “Elizabeth Warren on Oprah 2020: ‘I Don’t Know’ If America Wants Another Celebrity Billionaire President.” RealClearPolitics, RealClearHoldings, 10 Jan. 2018, www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/01/10/elizabeth_warren_on_oprah_i_dont_know_if_america_wants_another_celebrity_billionaire_president.html.

Izadi, Elahe. “Oprah for President in 2020? Here’s Everything You Need to Know.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 9 Jan. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/01/08/oprah-for-president-in-2020-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/?utm_term=.cf4bc0874c34.

Photo 1: https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/oprah-for-president-golden-globes-speech-stirs-speculation-of-2020-run/

Photo 2: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/talk-presidential-run-could-aid-oprah-s-massive-empire-n836291

Could Oprah Be the Next U.S. President?