CFHS First Football Game

Andrew Rhonehouse, Author

The Catalina Foothills High School football season kicked off on Friday, August 18th, against the #1 ranked team in Arizona, Scottsdale Saguaro. The zero-week game was a rematch of last year’s Division 4 State championship game, where Saguaro won their fourth consecutive State Championship, defeating Catalina Foothills 42-14.

This year’s game was almost reciprocal in score, even though Catalina Foothills has five returning varsity players. Although, Foothills has a young team that lacks chemistry and varsity game time experience, it proved to be no problem for the Falcons in the first quarter of the game. The score was Saguaro 6-0, similar to last year being 7-0 after the first quarter. At the start of the second quarter, Saguaro’s talent came out and showed the crowd why they are ranked first in the state by scoring three touchdowns by halftime with the Falcons still at 0.

At the start of the second half the Saguaro Sabercats did not let up, coming out of the break and scoring two touchdowns by the third quarter making the score 41-0. Saguaro began to pull away and it looked like Catalina Foothills lost all hope, until we scored two touchdowns making it 41-14 for the final score. This sudden come back at the end showed the state of Arizona that even though Catalina Foothills was playing against the number one ranked team, they could still overcome the challenge and compete throughout the whole game.

CFHS First Football Game