Phoenix Football Team Suffers from Impetigo

Carlos Salcedo

Carlos Salcedo

Tyler White, Author

There is a recent event where football players at a high school in Phoenix were infected with a certain skin disease which is called impetigo. The student athletes at Alhambra high school in west Phoenix were contracted with the skin infection, and although the Alhambra high school football team was scheduled to have a game on Friday, it was postponed to a later date because 20 athletes contracted the skin infection. Fortunately, all the infected student athletes were treated with antibiotics quickly after the symptoms of the infection were shown.     

The bacterial skin disease which the football team was infected with is known as impetigo. This skin disease is fairly common in the US, and there are approximately 3 million infections annually. Impetigo is contracted mostly by children and teens, and it could be spread by simple skin to skin contact such as handshakes. The main symptom of this infection is red sores and rashes which form around the nose and the mouth. The infection also causes itching. The rashes stay for a few days after the infection.

The infection was first discovered approximately a week ago when a few of the student’s forearms were covered in rashes. After treating the student athletes with antibiotics, the coaches ensured that they received proper rest. When one of the coaches was interviewed, he stated that only the players who were fully recovered from the infection played on the field. To ensure that the infection did not spread, the staff at the school spread disinfectants, and sanitizers to classrooms, and locker rooms in order to ensure that the infection no longer spread.