Road to Recovery

Dante DeNiro and Andrew Rhonehouse

Sports therapists work in the rehabilitation and treatment of athletic related injuries. They typically have completed a graduate level education in their field, and generally work in clinics, hospitals, or other health institutes with a median salary of $82,000. Sports therapists work with all kinds of injuries and know exactly what to do to reduce pain and swelling to get athletes back in their sport as quick as possible. A typical day for a sports therapist can be described as, “On a typical day I start by seeing private clients on one-to-one basis for treatments or exercise-based sessions in the morning or early afternoon. I then finish with either covering a football match or training in the evening” by Jameel Shah.

Sprained ankles are among the most common injuries from sports and they are difficult to treat and require a large amount of therapy to fully recover. When this injury occurs, the first thing that should be done is R.I.C.E. This is a four step process to reduce inflammation and pain level. “R” stands for rest. Once the injury is obtained, immediately get off the injured ankle and rest it. The second step is “I” which stands for ice. To reduce inflammation and pain level ice is a crucial part in recovery. Ice as soon as possible and for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. “C” is for compression a vital step needed to keep pressure on the injured area so that fluids do not build up which will increase inflammation. The fourth step is “E” which stands for elevate. Doing this is important to keep the ankle above the heart while icing to avoid swelling.   

Sports therapy is an important thing all athletes should know because they can help prevent future injuries and in the event of an injury, can lead to a steady recovery. R.I.C.E. and other recovery methods are necessary to all sports and without them the sporting world would not be the same. Great athletes would not be a able to play as long and sports would not be as interesting to watch.

Road to Recovery