The Upcoming Winter Olympics

Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Getty Images

Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Zoe Johnson, Journalist

Every two years, billions of people around the world celebrate the Olympics. It is believed that it started back in 776 BC in Greece as a competition dedicated to the gods. However, in modern history, the games changed to become a competition between the world’s best athletes representing their country. The Winter Olympics became its own competition in 1924 in Chamonix, France after figure skating and a hockey tournament were featured in the 1920 summer games in Belgium. The games of 2018 will be the 23rd Winter Olympic Games.

This year the Winter Olympics are being held in PyeongChang, South Korea. The city is about 80 miles east of the capital city of Seoul, and 60 miles south of the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea. The games start on February 8th, and the opening ceremony will be held on February 9th. The opening and closing ceremonies will be held in the temporary PyeongChang Olympic Stadium that can hold up to 35,000 spectators.

In order to watch the Winter Olympics in the US, tune in to NBC, which will air the games on television and online. Although PyeongChang is 17 hours ahead of Los Angeles, viewers in the US will be able to watch live coverage for the first time.

There are seven events in the Winter Games: including biathlon, bobsleigh, curling, ice hockey, luge, skating, and skiing. Within these sports there are 15 varied branches that demonstrate an exciting array of these athletes’ abilities.

Figure skater, Ashley Wagner, holds an American flag.

Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/ashley-wagner-on-instagram-post-didnt-listen-telling-me-no

There are 240 US athletes attending the Olympics, some are looking to medal again and some others who are looking for their first Olympic win. The games do not end until February 25th, so be sure to support our athletes at some point during the competition by watching the Winter Olympics.

The Upcoming Winter Olympics