Super Bowl LII

Andrew Rhonehouse, Journalist

Super Bowl LII, between the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles was a story of champions and underdogs. The game began with an unexpected start when the Eagles scored a 25 yard field goal, followed by a 34 yard touchdown pass from Nick Foles to Alshon Jeffery; they were ahead of the defending champions 9-3 by the end of the first quarter. The Eagles extended their lead above the Patriots to 15-3 when Eagles running back LaGarrette Blount scored a 21 yard touchdown. However, the Patriots high powered offense, led by veteran quarterback Tom Brady, drove 90 yards in 7 plays, in combination with a field goal on the previous drive, scoring on a 26 yard touchdown to bring the score to 15-12. But it was not over yet: just before the half came to an end, the Eagles scored on another touchdown when Trey Burton threw a touchdown pass to Nick Foles on a trick play, bringing the score to 22-12. The 3rd quarter started off with Tom Brady throwing a five yard touchdown pass to former Arizona Wildcats football player, Rob Gronkowski to bring the score to 22-19, which was followed by back to back touchdowns by both the Eagles and the Patriots making it 29-26. The 4th quarter quickly started off with an Eagles field goal finalizing the score 41-33, making the Philadelphia Eagles the Super Bowl champions.

Tom Brady missing a catch thrown to him

Nick Foles, former Arizona Wildcats quarterback, started off the 2017-2018 as a backup quarterback behind Carson Wentz.  However, he has already had success with the Eagles when he won a Division title in 2013, so it was not a complete surprise that he carried the team to the Super Bowl. He is now being called the greatest backup quarterback of all time.

Nick Foles celebrating after scoring

Super Bowl LII