2018 Winter Olympics Recap

Photo by: Mike Blake

Photo by: Mike Blake

Photo by: Mike Blake

Zoe Johnson, Journalist

The 2018 Winter Olympics have finally finished after two action-packed weeks of sports. There were both returning athletes and athletes competing in their Olympic debut and each showcased their amazing skills. In the end Norway won with the most medals followed by Germany, Canada, and the United States falling into fourth place. Let’s take a closer look at the athletes of the United States.

Early on in the competition, the United States won its first gold in the Snowboarding Freestyle event by seventeen-year-old Red Gerard. This was his first time competing at the Olympics. Max Parrot and Mark McMorris of Canada finished second and third behind Gerard, respectively. On the women’s side of this event, Jamie Anderson won gold, making her the first woman to win two gold medals in this event. Moving on to the snowboarding halfpipe, returning champion Shaun White won gold in an emotional comeback run, making him the first snowboarder to win three gold medals. Seventeen-year-old sensation Chloe Kim won in the women’s halfpipe with a record-breaking run of back to back 1080s. Arielle Gold of the United States also added to the medal list by taking bronze in this event.

Maia and Alex Shibutani hold up the American flag.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/20/alex-maia-shibutani-shib-sibs-olympic-medal-ice-dance

Another one of the more popular events that brought in medals for the United States was the figure skating team. The team of eight skaters finished in third place at the end of the competition behind Canada and the olympic athletes from Russia. While Nathan Chen struggled to live up to the expectations in the team event, other athletes Adam Rippon, Maia and Alex Shibutani, and Mirai Nagasu excelled in the event. In Nagasu’s short program she became the first American woman to land a triple axel in an Olympic competition. The Shibutani siblings also later earned a bronze medal for their individual ice dancing event. In the following week, Chen fell just short of a medal in his free skate event after pulling off an incredible six quads in his performance.

Some of the other highlights of the Olympics were the women’s hockey team winning over Canada, Mikaela Shiffrin taking gold in the women’s giant slalom and silver in the women’s combined, and Lindsey Vonn getting bronze in the downhill. Also, Jessica Diggins and Kikkan Randall won the United States’ first ever gold in cross-country skiing. The Winter Olympics saw a lot of historic performances from the athletes of Team USA, and maybe at the next Olympics we’ll be able to witness even more.

Lindsey Vonn competes on skis.

Photo by: Reuters

2018 Winter Olympics Recap