March Madness Recap

Ivan Santamaria, Journalist

This year’s March Madness tournament was definitely one for the books. If you are unaware of what March Madness is, it is a college basketball tournament that held at the end of every team’s season. This tournament begins with 64 team bracket where if you lose you are out. The winner is the ultimate champion of all college basketball. This year’s tournament was one of the most interesting ones that holds a lot of unexpected results.

University of Maryland, Baltimore County was the 16 seed in this tournament which is 1 of the 4 lowest in the entire bracket. Since they are the 16 seed, they must face a 1 seed powerhouse team. No 16 seed has ever gotten past the first round of the bracket since the creation of this tournament with a record of 0-135 but UMBC had something to say about that. Going in the game, only 2.18% of people picked UMBC to win over powerhouse team Virginia. That game itself was not close at all. From start to finish, UMBC was completely dominating from offense to defense and every other way possible. UMBC eventually came out with the biggest underdog victory that March Madness has ever seen. Even though UMBC lost the next round, everyone seemed to believe that anything is possible in this basketball tournament after witnessing this historical upset.

At the conclusion of the tournament, only 2 teams were left in order to determine the NCAA men’s basketball champion. Michigan and Villanova were the surviving teams that fought numerous rounds to make it where they were in the end. At the end of this tournament, Villanova ends up being the champions with a 79-62 victory over Michigan giving them their second national championship victory in the last three years.Villanova celebrating their championship victory.

March Madness Recap