The Grand Marching Band

Tatum Lawrence, Journalist

The Foothills Falcon Band at our very own Catalina Foothills High School is one of the largest marching bands in the state of Arizona. The band has been lead by Mrs. Shane-Boyd since the creation of our school band in 1992. The Foothills Falcon Band has travelled all over the world to perform in many different regions. In 2006, the band marched in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. They have traveled to China in 2008 and performed there as well before the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Their most recent travel destination outside of the United States was London during spring break in 2016. The band has been working on their show for this season since July, as well as spending a week in Prescott for their annual band camp. They contributed hours and hours from their summer break to work on their marching technique and show for the year.

We were able to chat with some of the members of the school’s Symphonic Band. This class has students from all four grade levels working together to make an award-winning show for the 2017 season. “Being a section leader is a lot of work but it’s really awesome to see people get better throughout the season and getting to work with a lot of people,” said Anna Kittle, a senior and a student leader for the bari-sax section. “My favorite part of being in band is my section. There are some really cool people in the band! It’s so cool to meet new people thanks to marching band.” Adam Pace, a sophomore mellophone, also commented.

Every year, new freshmen come into Catalina Foothills. A lot of freshmen also join the marching band, and get to experience all the amazing competitions and traveling, and have the opportunity to meet new people and improve their musical skills. “Band is really exciting. It’s nice to meet new people and they’ve all been so nice! I enjoy the out-of-school rehearsals as well; they’re very fun.” said Jason Kross, a freshman flute.

The month of October is the most busy time for the marching band. It is the time for the band competitions, which are very important to marching bands all over the nation. The Foothills Falcon Band normally goes to two high schools within the city. Their biggest competitions are at Northern Arizona University, and also the University of Arizona. The highest possible rating is Superior with Distinction, which the band has received numerous timed since it was created. “Competitions are the most important part of marching band. Everyone is really nervous but excited to perform for a huge audience. It is always so amazing to hear our scores announced and celebrate together!” replied junior trombone player Annika Leal, when asked about the mood at competitions. Last year, the Foothills Falcon Band won Superior with Distinction for their 2016 show Quintessence. This year, the marching band has more than 200 members, which is a number they’ve maintained for many years.

Our award winning marching band is an important part of Catalina Foothills High School. We have an exceptional music program and talented instructors, such as Mrs. Shane-Boyd, Mr. Sepulveda, and Dr. Walton. Students have come to our school specifically for the band program. A big thanks to the dedicated students who are hard at work to perfect their 2017 show and competing throughout the state. Good luck, Foothills Falcon Band!

The Grand Marching Band