Interview with Shay MacBan

Allison Bleaman and Alyssa Klingensmith

Spotlight Interview on Catalina Foothills’ Student Body President, Shay MacBan.

• What is your role in student council?

My role in student council is very similar to managing business. To oversee certain committees and make sure that everything is being completed in a timely manner. Not to mention running meetings, coordinating events and updating the council as a whole.

• How many years have you been in student council?

I have been in student council for all 4 years of high school.

• What is the most memorable thing that has happened in student council so far?

Definitely the most memorable event of student council was winning AASC State President. One of the best things that’s ever happened to me. I grew as a person and really stepped outside my comfort zone.

• Why did you get started in student council?

To be honest, I just wanted to get involved with my school, so I threw my hat in the ring. I figured, why not, and decided that if I wanted to participate in a certain club, student council was the right activity to make a difference with the events planned and how they are operated.

• How would you describe yourself?

I would describe myself as very social and outgoing. I like to lead and manage in front of a huge group. I consider this one of my passions and I would like to carry this type of leadership into the workforce.

• Would you recommend doing student council to others?

Absolutely, no doubt on my mind. Student council has taught me certain professional skills that no other club can truly offer, including public speaking, and leading a team, while making sure to listen to the student body that you serve. There are so many different ways you can get involved in student council, which is why it offers a great sense of diversity.

Interview with Shay MacBan